Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Christopher Slattery John Nardone Journalism Review of Review I read a review on 300 Rise of an Empire written by New York Daily News. I have never seen the movie but had high hopes for it. The first 300 was a great movie that really captured the determination of the Greeks and portrayed them as warriors. This review starts out by saying that this event was happening at the same time as the first 300 and how the more memorable story is told first, hence this movie being less important as King Leonidas’ battles. Right away you can tell that this reviewer does not think too highly of this movie. Rise of an Empire is the battles going on in the sea, the naval war. Thermostikles is brought to be as fierce as Leonidas. Just a little less manly looking, he has the main role. His nemesis is Green who is a smokey eyed witch-queen that is the saving grace of the movie. She plays an intense character and has a big role in the movie. This review makes it out to seem that she is the best part. The graphics are “over the top” which means that with every cut or wound a life threatening amount of blood squirts out. It is muddy, and the filming looks bad because of how they exaggerated the blood and filth. It makes for a good action scene, but if you’re looking to get a history lesson of out Rise of an Empire than think again. This review makes the movie seem as a letdown to me. I was anticipating a good, history based action movie. It appears that the action is there, but it doesn’t portray the history behind the events. Makes me believe that making this movie was maybe a mistake, they should have just left it at the first 300 that came out in 2006. That was a top notch movie, and as the “sequel” it does not do the first one justice. I am a little disappointed in the fact that this movie has such poor reviews; I believe it is still a very enjoyable movie, it just doesn’t capture the same feeling as the original 300. I do see myself seeing this movie in the near future, I believe the review bashed the movie just because it had such high hype before coming out. Still most likely a decent movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment